Saturday, July 24, 2010

halfway across the world



Now that jet-lag is long-gone, I thought I'd get back into the blog-world by posting a bit about China. Some pictures, a few short thoughts...nothing ground-breaking. Here's one of my favorite shots from touring in Beijing. We spent most of the morning at the Great Wall. Words barely scratch the surface and a picture could never capture the full weight of the experience. It was incredibly humbling to be there, knowing the historical significance of the Wall.












We then moved on to the Forbidden City, which was built by Chinese emperors during the Ming Dynasty. Like the Great Wall, it was incredible to be standing in such a significant place in Chinese history. The beauty of the palace was breath-taking; pictures alone could never fully capture it.

And finally, I couldn't help myself with this last picture...I made a few friends along the way :) Love Asian tourists.

I think I fell in love with China--the people, the language, the culture, the history, and even some of the food (just say no to chicken feet). Going into the trip, I thought I would be overwhelmed by spirits of oppression and warfare simply because of what I had heard or read about China, but this was not true. Something shifted in my heart while I was there, something that I'm still trying to name and describe. I do know this--I left part of my heart with an 8 year-old with cerebral palsy in an orphanage in a small city in southern China. (He could use chopsticks better than me, by the way.) I don't meet the international adoption requirements in China yet, so I couldn't bring him home :) There's no way I could detail the whole trip here, so for now this will have to suffice. It was incredible, and I can't wait to go back.

No comments:

  © Blogger template 'Isolation' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP